Blog Single

26 Jul

Renewing an Expired Child’s US Passport

U.S. passports for kids under 16 years of age are valid for 5 years. The renewal process for them is a little different from renewing a passport for an adult. The process after a passport for a minor has expired is the same procedure as when the passport was first applied for.

We can expedite the passport for any minor children in your household. Here’s how the process works.

All the links to the forms you need are on our dedicated passports for minors page.

Complete and print the passport application online at the Department of State. Do not sign.

Include 2 passport quality photos. The photograph should show the full face of the child, aimed directly at the camera. The face should show a neutral expression with both eyes open. The background should be white or off-white. Its dimensions must measure 2 x 2 inches, with the full head measuring from 1 to 1 3/8 inches. The child should be wearing regular clothing and not wearing any accessories, including glasses. Print in color, on matte or glossy photo-quality paper.

Proof of Identity, an original, certified birth certificate is a good source of i.d. to use.

Payment to Department of State Check in the amount of $140 payable to Department of State.

One copy of mother and father’s State issued ID. If one of the parents cannot be present at the time of execution of the documents then a notarized Form DS-3053 is needed.

Proof of Departure can be established using a copy of airline tickets and flight itinerary.

You will need to print 2 copies of the Authorization for Texas Tower to act on your behalf. Please place one inside the sealed envelope and leave one out for us.

Full step-by-step instructions can be found here. 

Related Posts