Tag Archives: change name on passport

photo courtesy of unsplash-stevenlewis

When a person gets married, divorced, or otherwise makes a name change – the driver’s license and social security card often are the first to see a change to the new moniker.

Another must-do is to update your passport. This eliminates the chance of being detained or delayed in your travels because your name on your passport does not match your other travel documents. This is especially important for newlyweds planning a trip out of the country for a honeymoon, and one or both has changed their names on their driver’s license or other identification to reflect their new status.

Updating the name on your passport is easy. The service you will need is reapplying .

You will need a copy of a document such as a certified marriage certificate that verifies the name change. Other than that difference, there are no more special requirements than applying for a renewal of your passport.

Call our offices today at (713) 874-1420 if you need to change the name on your passport and have any questions. A team member can walk you through the process.


Life happens and sometimes those happenings include a change of name. Along with your driver’s license and social security card, you’ll also need to update your passport. We can make the process easy.

First you will need to complete an application Department of State’s passport portal. Remember, they require original signatures so you cannot scan or email the documents.

Two passport type photos, we recommend that you take the photos at Walgreens or CVS. However, it is permissible to take the photos yourself. There are strict rules to follow to meet the State Department’s guidelines for passport photos if you choose to take your own photos.

We have an authorization letter you will need to sign that gives Texas Tower permission to act on your behalf obtaining your updated passport. You will need to include a copy of your current passport. It must be currently valid and undamaged. You will be receiving a new passport, and your old passport will be returned to you with a cancellation mark.

If you require rush service on the re-issue of your passport, you will need to include a flight itinerary or a letter from your company stating you require rush level service. We can help you if you need a sample letter to meet the requirements.

To substantiate your name change, you will need to include an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order. No scans or photocopies may be accepted. Get started here on our handy page for changing your name on your passport.