Tag Archives: passport name change

Some people feel that one spouse assuming the other’s last name is an old-fashioned and outdated tradition. There are others that want to keep the tradition alive and change their names after saying, “I do.”
Once you make the decision to change your name legally, all your identification documents should match, including your US passport. There is a specific process for changing your name to your new married name.

We put together some tips to make the process even easier if you choose to take your spouse’s name.  We have assisted newlyweds for over 20 years in our Houston office with getting their US  passports re-issued with their new name, and we can help you.

Change your name soon after your marriage.
Many states have time limits for a name change, make sure you know the time allotted in your home state.

Getting a new social security card is simple. Just either take two forms of identification along with a certified copy of your marriage license to your local Social Security office. You can also do it by mail, but you’ll probably want to get a duplicate copy of your marriage license to mail in.

Changing your driver’s license is easy to accomplish. Just make an appearance at your local Department of Motor Vehicles with your certified copy of your marriage license. You will be able to get a new, updated license with your new name on it the same day in most locales.

name changeNow,  let’s talk passport. If you need to change your name, you’re going to need to reapply for your passport. Remember, your travel documents must match your identification or it will put the brakes on your travel.  The TSA will not accept a marriage certificate as proof of a name change.
Normal turnaround time can be four to six weeks, however, you can obtain your passport in far less time, 24-hours if necessary.
Here are the documents you need to get started:

  • One completed application for US passport renewal
  • Two passport photographs
  • Authorization for Texas Tower to act on your behalf
  • Your current US passport (this will be returned)
  • Flight itinerary or rush request
  • Original or certified copy of your marriage certificate

Once you get those documents together – we can do the rest for you!

Another sometimes overlooked area is something you’re probably in at least once a day.  You’ll need to update your name will be your email. This can usually be accomplished in a short and sweet email to everyone on your contact list about your status change.

Update your bank in person, as each financial institution has their own set of guidelines, ask what they need from you to verify the name change ahead of your appointment. Most major credit cards will have a form to fill out and send in with copies of your proof of name change.  Memberships and loyalty programs are other good accounts to remember to update. They usually have basically the same requirements as updating your credit cards.

Those are just the basics for getting your name changed! If you’re a newly wedded, congrats! If you have any questions about your passport and visa for your honeymoon travel, just contact us!

Want to get started on your name change right now? Visit our dedicated US passport name change page. Get more tips and information for all your travel and personal documents on our Facebook page.


How (1)There’s nothing worse than getting to the airport, ready to get your boarding pass- and your passport name doesn’t match your identification.

Newly married, newly divorced  are among the most common reasons for a name change. If all your identification doesn’t match, you’re not going anywhere until it does.

A good thing to do is either change your name well in advance of your departure or wait until you get back to handle all the name changes. Otherwise, your trip might stall in the security check.

Photo courtesy of Department of Homeland Security
Photo courtesy of Department of Homeland Security

Here’s all you need to do to get the ball rolling for an updated passport. First make sure you meet the requirements to reapply.

Then gather the following documents and items: (click to view larger)
Reapply - Name Change - Texas Tower Fast Passport and Visa Call Now! (713) 874-1420.clipular

Call our offices today at (713) 874-1420 if you need to change the name on your passport and have any questions. A team member can walk you through the process.

June is traditionally the month of brides, and with weddings sometimes come surname changes. Unfortunately, some brides went ahead and changed their names on their credit cards and id’s found out when they went to leave on their honeymoon, that they couldn’t board their flights because their name on their state-issued id’s didn’t match their passport.

That’s not the only reason for a name change, life events such as divorce, adoption, and other reasons can result in a surname change that will require updating your U.S. passport.

If you need to change your name on your passport, the process is very much like renewing with the exception of needing to provide proof of the name change.

We put together a handy infographic that shows you how fast and easy it can be to change your name on  your passport.

weddingringsNo matter if you had a spur-of-the-moment wedding at the Justice of the Peace or you threw an all out gala event for your nuptials, one common question many newlyweds ask is, “How soon can I change my last name on my passport?”

The answer to that question is simple, your passport needs to match your other identification. If you already changed your driver’s license and social security, you’re going to need to update your passport before you do any international travel.

The process is simple, you will need to reapply.

If you would like for us to obtain your passport for you, just remember that all documents must be signed and mailed to us. Unfortunately, you may not scan and email us these documents because the Department of State requires original signatures.

We have a page set up here at the TexasTower website that will walk you through the process, complete with links for any of the necessary forms or paperwork you need to download and print out.

The average turn around time for your passport will be 5-10 working days, compared to 4-7 weeks if you do it yourself through the U.S. passport agency.


Life happens and sometimes those happenings include a change of name. Along with your driver’s license and social security card, you’ll also need to update your passport. We can make the process easy.

First you will need to complete an application Department of State’s passport portal. Remember, they require original signatures so you cannot scan or email the documents.

Two passport type photos, we recommend that you take the photos at Walgreens or CVS. However, it is permissible to take the photos yourself. There are strict rules to follow to meet the State Department’s guidelines for passport photos if you choose to take your own photos.

We have an authorization letter you will need to sign that gives Texas Tower permission to act on your behalf obtaining your updated passport. You will need to include a copy of your current passport. It must be currently valid and undamaged. You will be receiving a new passport, and your old passport will be returned to you with a cancellation mark.

If you require rush service on the re-issue of your passport, you will need to include a flight itinerary or a letter from your company stating you require rush level service. We can help you if you need a sample letter to meet the requirements.

To substantiate your name change, you will need to include an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order. No scans or photocopies may be accepted. Get started here on our handy page for changing your name on your passport.