Blog Single

09 Jul

What to do if Your Passport is Stolen

Image via GIPHY

Keep this post in the back of your mind and share with anyone you know that travels, finding out your passport has been stolen is a situation you need to know how to handle.

If Your Passport was Stolen in the United States
A stolen passport is the potential for identity theft and you need to take the steps to protect yourself if it happens to you. The first thing you need to do is contact the State Department at 877-487-2778, there will be an agent available to help you from 8AM until 10PM EST Monday through Friday. A report will be taken over the phone and your passport will be deactivated immediately. You will be given a confirmation number, make sure you keep it handy for the next step.

The next step is to file a police report. Refer to the confirmation number you were given from the State Department in your police report. Although, the majority of stolen passports are not recovered, it is important to file a police report also to protect yourself from liability in the case of identity theft.

Finally, you will need to get a new passport. We can walk through the process here and make the process fast and easy.

If Your Passport is Stolen Abroad
U.S. citizens that are traveling abroad and have their passports stolen will need to replace them before re-entering the United States. The State Department advises to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, and report your passport as lost or stolen. If you are scheduled to leave the country in a short time, let the consular officer know so the process can be handled as fast as possible. Normally you will need to obtain a photo for your passport to be issued, and you will be directed to the closest place to get a new passport photo.

If you are notified by a friend or relative traveling in a foreign country that their passport has been stolen you can help them from the U.S. by contacting the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C, at 1-888-407-4747. You can assist your friend or loved one in finding the nearest embassy or consulate to assist them.

Related Posts