Blog Single

21 Mar

Lost Your Passport in Galveston? Here’s What You Need To Know

Are you preparing for your next trip abroad, only to realize your passport is lost, and you’re unsure of what to do about it? Here’s what you need to know for replacing your lost or stolen passport.

  • If your passport was not stolen but you know that passport number is compromised, don’t report your passport as lost or stolen. You only need to report it that way is the original, physical passport was lost or stolen. This applies to passport cards as well as books. Keep in mind that, once you report a passport as lost or stolen, it becomes invalid and cannot be used for traveling internationally by any means.
  • Reporting your passport lost or stolen as soon as you realize it’s gone, especially in cases where you know or suspect it has been stolen, will protect you from identity theft schemes and other means of compromising your ability to travel. While passport books and cards are designed with numerous mechanics to defend against counterfeiting, your information can still be used for identity theft purposes.
  • If you lose your passport but know your passport number, that is not enough to allow you to travel internationally. You always need a valid, original passport to travel to other countries and to travel back to the United States from a foreign country.
  • U.S. Passport records and their IT systems do not connect to other companies, nor do they share passport data with other companies, so no one can access your records or obtain your information with your passport number from the Department of State.

With all of this in mind, how do you report your passport lost or stolen? You have three options:

  1. Filling out and submitting a DS-64 form online
  2. Completing and signing a DS-64 form and sending it by mail to the address indicated on the form
  3. Calling by phone to apply for a new passport, though you will still have to send in a DS-64 with your application.

To replace your lost or stolen passport on your own, it is required that you submit a Form DS-11 in person. If you’re in the US and expect to travel in 3 weeks or less, that means making an appointment at the nearest passport agency or center to replace your passport. If you are in the US and not traveling within 3 weeks, make an appointment with an authorized passport acceptance facility at your convenience. If you’re outside of the US, contact the closest US embassy or consulate about replacing your passport. Make sure, in all cases, that you submit your DS-11!

If you have questions or want help with your lost, stolen, or damaged US passport, we can take care of it for you at Texas Tower Houston. Give us a call at 713-874-1420 and check out our page on how to replace your lost, stolen, or damaged passport through our service.

Related Posts